Healthier Snack Ideas
One of the toughest things about dieting is choosing snacks that both satisfy you and keep your calories under control. This is especially true if you’re used to snacking on potato chips and candy bars. But you don’t have to go it on your own. Here are some ideas for snacks that can help you curb those cravings.
- Air-popped or 94% fat free popcorn
- A handful of pistachio nuts or almonds
- Carrot sticks with a small amount of your favorite dip or dressing
- A small amount of dark chocolate – it will satisfy your chocolate craving and it’s healthy too!
- A piece of fruit
- A spoonful of peanut butter
- A small bowl of whole-grain cereal
- A protein shake
- A tablespoon of raisins or other dried fruit
While this is by no means an exhaustive list, there are some guidelines you can follow when selecting snacks. Try to stay away from foods that are high in sugar or salt. These foods can cause you to crave more foods and retain water.
For example, it’s better to have a handful of nuts than a granola bar. Most granola bars are low in fat, but they have a lot of added sugar that you don’t need.
Also make sure that you keep your body hydrated. Hunger and thirst often feel the same. If you feel a little hungry, try drinking a glass of water and then wait a few minutes. You may find that you don’t really need a snack after all.